Windows 10: Microphone no longer works? Find the solution here
If the microphone no longer works on the Windows 10 operating system, this can have many causes. There may be problems with the hardware.
But it can also be due to the settings. Last but not least, it may be the driver that paralyzes the microphone. In this practical tip, we present a few suggested solutions.
Microphone does not work: Hardware problems
The problem may not be with your computer, but with the microphone itself:
- Check that you have inserted the device correctly. Microphone sockets are usually outlined in pink and marked with a hand microphone.
- Test the microphone on another device. If it does not work there either, a broken cable may be the cause of the malfunction.
- If the device just doesn’t work on your computer, try another microphone on your computer. If the error occurs here as well, the problem is either with your sound card or with incorrect settings.
Micro does not work – Check Windows settings as the cause
Have you checked whether the microphone is still working properly on another device, then carry out the following steps on your computer:
- Open the “Settings” via the Windows start button. Then click on “System”. Select “Sound” from the left bar. Then go to the “Sound Control Panel” on the right.
- You will now see a list of all the microphones that are available to you. If your microphone is included, right-click on it, then on “Activate” and, if necessary, on “Set as default device”.
- If your microphone is not displayed there, it is not recognized by your computer. This can happen if your sound card or microphone is defective. In some cases, however, only (the current) drivers are simply missing.
Missing audio drivers for the microphone
Your microphone cannot be recognized even if important drivers are missing.
- In the case of a USB microphone, the driver is included with the device. Otherwise you can download the driver from the manufacturer’s website. A simple Google search should be enough.
- A driver for the sound card can also be helpful. Which driver you need for this depends on your sound card. It is best to read the operating instructions for your motherboard.
- Alternatively: Download Everest and check which motherboard you have.
- If you know your motherboard, you will find the appropriate driver in our forum.